Monday, August 13, 2007

Old Version (Sometimes Newer isn't Better)

Updating to a newer version of your favorite programs is usually a great idea. I am one who constantly checks for the newest update for my Firefox browser and a few other programs I use on a daily basis. However, there are times when my computer does not respond well to the new update. I can't just blame my computer for the lack of computability there are often many reasons that an update can go terribly wrong.

One of my more recent examples is the latest update to Firefox. I installed the 2.0.0.6 version a few weeks ago and I immediately noticed the new version was freezing at random. This made surfing the internet a very tiresome task. I messed around with the settings for hours hoping to fix the problem. I also checked the Internet and soon found other users have been having the same problem and there was no solution found yet. I eventually gave up trying to fix it and decided to revert back to the old version. I scanned my computer for the old 2.0.0.4 version to reinstall it and was not able to locate it. I knew that trying to obtain the software from the website would be a dead end since it is not a common practice for software makers to offer the older versions on their website. I thought about the thousands of computer users that go through this scenario every day and how frustrating it is. That is when I got the idea for this next tip. There is a site that exists for just this purpose.

Oldversion.com offers older versions of some of the most popular software. Oldversion.com is actually dedicated to several purposes as mentioned on their ABOUT page. Not only do they think that each user should have access to the version that works best for them, they also offer clean versions of the software. I think it is a remarkable site and karma points to them for saving my day.

Don't forget to bookmark them when you get there.

Go there now... Oldversion.com

No comments: